Thursday, July 10, 2008

GF Product Review: Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix


Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix:
Great Gluten Free Pancakes and Waffles!
We use this for just about everything. Follow the pancake instructions and lovely, fluffy, tasty pancakes will result.
When making waffles we follow the waffle instructions fairly closely, but I whip the egg whites into soft to somewhat stiff peaks and then carefully fold them in with the other ingredients at the very end. We also add a touch of baking powder to give them a bigger boost. This results in very light and springy waffles. You can add some fruit or chocolate chips for a variety. I'll post a how-to guide (we are proud of our waffle success) the next time we make waffles.
When I adapt a non-GF recipe into a GF recipe I generally use Pamela's mix to substitute half of the required flour and then use a variety of other flours (which vary depending on what I'm making).
From my reading of other GF blogs it seems that other accomplished GF chefs are also using Pamela's all the time. So if you have been recently diagnosed and feeling lost, try Pamela's first.

Pamela's is such a staple in our GF arsenal that I've been contemplating setting up an automatic delivery from Amazon (where it is discounted a bit) every three months or so. We keep all of our GF flours in clear, labeled plastic jars so we know when we need to purchase more.

1 comment:

Katherine Harry said...

This is neato! Drew and I made that agave lime salmon for dinner last night. It was tasty.